|Biscuits with Honey and Petit Jean Bacon|
It’s been said that I can make a mean biscuit…
Making biscuits is one of those things that isn’t hard,
but that people tend to overthink and overwork.
REAL SALTED BUTTER
CAST IRON SKILLET
*This recipe is easily made Gluten Free by using an all-in-one gluten free flour mix like Cup 4 Cup or Bob’s Red Mill 1:1.
When I make it gluten free I add a bit more milk because the gluten free flour seems drier.
Best Southern Biscuits
It's been said that I can make a mean biscuit...Making biscuits is one of those things that isn't hard, but that people tend to overthink and overwork. Some secrets? Use real salted butter, a hot cast iron pan, and a hot oven.
Servings: 12 Biscuits
- 4 cups Organic unbleached flour
- 2 tablespoon Baking powder
- 4 tablespoon Sugar (unbleached granulated)
- 1 teaspoon Cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Butter you can also substitute butter with coconut oil to equal 1 cup.
- 1 1/3 cup Milk possibly more depending on humidity.
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Put about a tablespoon or two of oil in skillet and place in oven.
- In bowl stir together dry ingredients. Cut in butter with pastry cutter or hands until it resembles coarse crumbs or peas. Add milk and stir until dough just clings together. You may have to add more if dough is too dry. You want it to be moist but not mushy.
- On floured surface, knead dough GENTLY for 10 strokes. Pat into a rectangle shape gently and then roll to about 1/2 inch thickness. Fold in half and repeat twice.
- Dip a glass in flour and cut into biscuits.
- Transfer to hot skillet and bake about 12 minutes or until golden brown.