My dog is quite large due to his bad habit of swiping the kids food when they aren’t looking,
food for fat pups is quite expensive.
I know what is in it and can modify it according to his needs (ie Low-Fat)
- Cook 2-3 cups of rice according to directions. (I normally use brown rice but had some risotto/arborio that needed to be gone from my cupboards.)
- Brown meat in large pot. (I used 5 lbs of turkey meat that I got on sale. Also added some cutlets that I had in the freezer that had slight freezer burn.)
- To cooked meat add a bag or so of frozen veggies or odds and ends of veggies from fridge you need to get rid of. (I like to use the pea/carrot/bean/corn mix that comes frozen in a bag when it’s on sale for about $1.)
- Mix the cooked rice to the meat mixture and stir.
- At this point if you need to add a little water to make it sticky do so, or you can add broth. (I actually used a jar of turkey gravy that I didn’t want to eat.)
- Stir and cool.
- Store in fridge and serve OR make into patties and freeze.
My dog LOVES this recipe and it’s much healthier than the dog food I normally buy. (Have you READ the labels on the dog food cans and bags?)