I went a little crazy with the manicotti yesterday. I made two huge pans- one cheese and one turkey & cheese. Luckily I had enough to have some wonderful friends over today for lunch and swimming!
2 pkgs of manicotti noodles (cook until ALMOST done, drain and cool)
1 large container of ricotta cheese
1 lb. of ground turkey
1/2 onion chopped finely
herbs to taste (I used fresh oregano, nutmeg, and basil)
Mozzarella cheese (grated)
Any other cheese that you would like to get out of your fridge (I used goat cheese and some provelone also)
Tomato sauce of your choice (or homemade)
- Cook onion in skillet, when glazy add ground turkey (or beef or sausage) and basil and oregano. Add red wine if you have some (I didn’t and used some balsamic vinegar.) Brown and set aside.
- While meat is browning mix ricotta cheese, egg, nutmeg, and other cheeses (saving some mozzarella for top. This will be your filling if you want cheese only. If you want to add the meat mix it to this cheese mixture when it’s browned.
- In a large casserole dish pour some tomato sauce to cover bottom of pan.
- Take one manicotti noodle in your hand and stuff with cheese or cheese/meat mixture. (I use a large icing bag without the tip to fill mine.) Lay in pan.
- Continue to fill until they are all filled and lay in pan.
- Cover with a little tomato sauce and then top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at about 350 degrees until melty and bubbly!