Chicken Tikka Masala
My version of Chicken Tikka Masala and/or Indian Butter Chicken.
- 3 lbs boneless chicken cut into cubes I like thigh meat but breast is good too!
- 1 cup plain yogurt I like Fage Greek Yogurt
- Sea Salt
- 1 clove garlic chopped and pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Penzey's Tandoori Seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 4 Tablespoons Penzey's Tandoori Seasoning (more or less to taste)
- 2 teaspoons Paprika good quality
- 4 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 16 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup heavy cream (Can substitute with coconut cream)
- Kosher Sea Salt
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- Plain yogurt
To make the sauce:
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and add the spices.
Cook a minute or two until fragrant, then add 1 cup of water and tomato paste, stirring until well blended.
Add chopped tomatoes and about a cup more water.
Take off the heat and carefully puree in the blender.
Put back in saucepan and simmer while meat cooks.
When meat is almost done add cream, butter, and salt & pepper to sauce and stir and simmer until time to add the meat. (See meat instructions below.)
In a hot cast iron skillet with 2 Tablespoons of oil cook marinated meat over medium high heat.
Stir frequently and cook until meat is thoroughly cooked.
Place cooked meat in finished sauce and garnish with fresh cilantro and a dollop of yogurt.
Serve with basmati rice and fresh naan!