Today I celebrate 17 years of marriage to my best friend. Love you, honey!
We went to Ashley’s in the Capital Hotel last night to celebrate. I’d heard a lot about the chef and see his sous chef in the market regularly so know they use fresh, organic veggies.
The atmosphere is lovely. They have a gorgeous dining room, very cozy and elegant.
OK, I have to tell you I am that difficult guest…
almost like Sally in “When Harry Met Sally” (a movie that was out when Scott and I started dating!) One reason I love him so much is that he KNOWS all these little quirks and can order for me if I wanted him to! Another is that he can sing like Harry Connick Junior (who did the soundtrack to the movie.)
- I’m allergic to apples, pears, grapes, carrots and celery.
- I don’t eat mammals
- I like my coffee fresh (half a cup) with cold milk (real milk, not fake junk or cream) and don’t want it heated, just cold milk please.
- I only eat real butter on bread (and wherever else I can get it.) What the heck is margarine anyway?
So, with that in mind…
- For the 1st course they brought us was a slice of celery with a dill coulis and a grape sliced in half. (They did bring me something else but it had RAISINS.)
- I called the waiter over because I looked at my fish and noticed that one of the “sauces” on the plate was bacon drippings with fried BACON. Wouldn’t have been a major issue if we weren’t paying what we were or hadn’t mentioned the pork thing first. He apologized, but think he should have noticed that…
- My coffee had HOT milk…
Now, the fish was alright. The pairings of pesto and candied peppers on the veggies was interesting and tasty. I think the candied peppers on a blackened fish would be fantastic.
Dessert was strange. Nothing chocolate on the menu!
It was fun to try it. And being with my gorgeous husband anywhere is fun!
Next time though we’ll try somewhere else.