A question I’m getting a lot these days is “What’s it like?”
Meaning: what is it really like to be a new baby mom when you’re over 40?
I am so grateful to my friends who came forward when I was pregnant with Aimee and told me “I was your age when I had my youngest.” or “I was older than you when I had mine.” They are all people I already admired as being super “cool” moms and didn’t even know that they were older than I am! Gives me hope that maybe one day I’ll be a “cool” mom! 🙂
The truth as I see it:
- I’m probably never going to be a size 2 again
- Being really tired (eat right and/or take vitamins!)
- Not getting
- Knowing I’ll be ____ years old when she’s ____.
- I have to write stuff down or I forget (EVERYTHING)
- Medical professionals will treat you like you are crazy and/or an old lady (AMA on your file) and your kids’ teachers will be old enough to be your kids too
- I don’t care if I’m a size 2 anymore.
- I can take a nap and not feel guilty
- Dishes in the sink, laundry not done? It gets easier to accept, there will be time later
- Staying young at heart!
- Saying “no” to the extras is so much easier
- I know how to tell people what I expect and need
And THE Most IMPORTANT:
I cherish every single minute.