Patacones are what we call them in Panama. In some places (Puerto Rico for example) they call them tostones.
Nothing brings back memories like a good plate of patacones.
Yummy grilled chicken and patacones on the beach…
I remember saving my money to ride my bike to the KC (Knights of Columbus) in Margarita to get a hamburger and patacones. Later I found their sancocho was the bomb and had that and patacones instead.
We have always had problems in Arkansas finding good green platanos (plantains.) Usually the stores have them, but they are maduros (ripe) and I despise ripe plantains. (I know, most people love them.) When mom moved to Puerto Rico she discovered the island secret of using green bananas, which are much cheaper in PR (and Arkansas.) So, now I use green bananas if I can’t find good platanos. They really taste almost the same if they are very green although maybe a little silkier in texture. They are easier to peel and cheaper.
- Peel plantains or green bananas. You have to do this quickly and right before frying or they turn black. Be careful as they will also turn your fingers black if you don’t wash right away!
|Score on several sides and peel skin off
|Cut into thumb sized pieces
|Fry one time and drain
|Put between waxed paper or brown paper and squash!
|Fry again til golden
|Drain and salt!
I LOVE sesame sticks. They are so expensive though, and not as easy to find here as I’d like them to be. I can get them in bulk at Whole Foods, but it’s a 20 minute drive to get there (and they are still expensive!)
I found this recipe online at RedChiles (a really cool food blog!) and tried it this past weekend.
They are great!
So EASY and CHEAP to make!
I doubled the recipe, and didn’t have the chili pepper powder to add. Plus added a few things which I’ll list on my recipe below. (My recipe also reflects the doubling and extra stuff…)
Next batch I make I’m not going to put as much garlic powder either, they were SOOO garlicky (and this coming from a major garlic lover!) I guess you can add any flavorings you prefer, or cheese…
- 1 cup Oats
- 2 cups all purpose flour*
*I used about 1 cup of flour and 1/2 cup of baby rice cereal plus 1/2 cup of wheat germ)
- 8 Tbsp Butter
- 1/2 cup Sesame seeds (I think I added a bit more for fun)
- 4 tsp garlic powder (Next time I’ll only use 1 or 2)
- 2 tsp sugar (I might leave this out too, just because I’m trying to watch sugars)
- Salt per taste
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Coarsely powder the oats (I used a small food processor,) then take a bowl and add the rest of the dry ingredients including sesame seeds and mix well.
- Melt the butter and add to the above mixture. This will form a bread crumb like consistency.
- Add water little by little and knead to stiff dough. Keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into smaller portions.
- Then take small balls of dough and place it in between 2 greased waxed-paper sheets. Apply pressure and make it into flat disc. Remove the top cover and with the tip of your hands flatten the dough and make it as flat as possible. (I used a rolling pin.)
- Using a knife or pastry cutter to cut into small strips. Repeat this process with the remaining dough as well.
- Place the strips on a greased cookie sheet. Bake for about 10-15 minutes until they are light brown.
- Turn them over and bake for another 10-15 minutes. Allow to cool before snacking!
Yields: 80 sticks
My tomato crop has been SLOW going. Still growing but still green.
Made my mouth water thinking about FRIED GREEN TOMATOES!
Wash tomatoes and cut into THIN slices (this is a key factor!) Make sure to use a SHARP knife or you could cut yourself. Dull knives make the blade slip and you get cut much easier.
Put cut tomatoes in milk or buttermilk.
In another bowl mix cornmeal, a bit of flour, salt & pepper, and I like to put some True Lemon powder to give it a tangy taste. Roll milky tomatoes in the cornmeal mixture and then place in hot oil.
*Make sure your oil is hot in an iron skillet preferably. Fry on both sides til done and drain on paper towels.
Enjoy! Nothing better….